The Strategic Options Analyser toolkit is a powerful, strategic tool, free for ADEPT members, and the first of its kind for the sector. It is designed to support the analysis and prioritisation of future strategic initiatives. The toolkit is used to create a route map of business changes towards an authority’s strategic outcomes.
What does it do?
The Strategic Options Analyser is designed to support the analysis and prioritisation of future strategic initiatives. The toolkit is used to create a route map of business changes towards an authority’s strategic outcomes. These outcomes may include:
- Improving the condition of the highway network for both the existing and new types of user.
- Developing the local economy and transforming assets for the post-carbon world.
- Improving financial resilience; increasing revenues and decreasing costs
- Increasing citizen engagement, support, and satisfaction.
- Reducing greenhouse gases and improving air quality.
- Engaging with internal and political stakeholders and aligning services with political goals.
You can quickly select and input data to assess the attractiveness and achievability of each strategic initiative. This analysis includes the:
- Scale, confidence and longevity of the financial benefits, with an automatically calculated five-year, confidence adjusted projection.
- Whole-life costs, costs confidence and funding sources, with an automatically calculated financial payback period.
- Consequential and planned environmental outcomes, including assessments for seven greenhouse gases and five COMEAP air pollutants.
- The social benefits, including wellbeing, equality and sustainability.
- The likely attitudes and responses of key stakeholders; officers, members and citizens.
- The risks, timescales, resource demands and barriers to success.
- The necessary roles of providers and partners.
On completion of this initial analysis, attractive and achievable options can be added to the active strategic portfolio. This can then be submitted for approval, design, development and implementation.
How would I use it?
The toolkit analyses aggregated data to calculate the total costs, benefits, risks, social value, and environmental impact for all strategic projects in a portfolio. By also assessing the complexity, affordability and resources required to deliver each of the projects, the toolkit can also calculate the achievability of the portfolio.
For example, Strategic Options Analyser allows users to enter costs, savings, environmental impact, and social benefits for a range of possible projects, such as dimming streetlights, solar farming, or heat networks.
How much does it cost?
Strategic Options Analyser is free for ADEPT members.
How can I get training?
- ADEPT local authority members can use the toolkit for free with simple guidance available from a user guide.
- An optional low-cost, per-seat training programme will be offered with sessions held at Cranfield University.
- For those seeking to accelerate their strategic planning activities, there is also the option to have an onsite or virtual facilitated strategic planning session for highways and transportation services. Fees for facilitated planning start at £4,850 + VAT and include in-house training. All fees are used to fund both ADEPT and future research activities.
How do I access it and find out more?